To obtain an AGENCY, INDIVIDUAL, APPRENTICE or JOURNEYMAN application you need to request an
application in writing.
Include the following:
- Your full name
- Full mailing address
- Specify license type:
- $5.00 money order
- Mail package to below address:
Louisiana State Board of Private Investigator Examiners
7414 Perkins Rd, Suite 120
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Please read ALL of the following information carefully and complete the entire
application either by typing or printing the answers to all of the questions.
When sending in your application, you must send everything required on the instruction
sheet in order for it to be processed. If everything is not sent in, the application
will not be processed and will be returned to you, which will delay the licensing process.
State statutes do not permit refunding of fees.
The Board staff will be happy to answer any questions you might have concerning the application and
suggest that you contact the Board office at 225-763-3556 Or (800) 299-9696.
The Board encourages you to attend all Board meetings as often as time permits.
If you are forming your own company, planning to work independently, or going to do contract work for others,
you must apply for an Agency level license. This license will allow you to work for yourself and for other agencies.
You must fill out the INDIVIDUAL APPLICATION and the AGENCY APPLICATION. You also need:
- Any person applying for agency must show documentation of 3 years investigative experience per R.S. 3507.2 (A)(1)(a)
- A fully complete application. Please print or type. Fill out the three-page (3) Individual Information, the two-page Agency Application
(both applications need to be notorized),
and the attached forms and requested information as listed below. While incorporation is not required,
if you choose to incorporate, please furnish copies of your Articles of Incorporation
- Occupational License for your agency physical address.
- One 5" x 7" color glossy, original photograph. Please review the Application package example and submit a similar photo. A close-up shot of your head and shoulders with white or light-colored background is preferred. No other photo/image will be accepted.
- Two FBI fingerprint cards in the Application package. See instructions regarding fingerprints.
- Please fill out the 2 Criminal Identification information forms submitted in the application packet.
- Enclose a copy of your driver's license with the application.
- A check or money order for statutory fees; made payable to: Louisiana State Board of Private Investigator Examiners or LSBPIE.
- 15 questions required and has to be notarized
- Affidavit from your employers regarding your 3years experience
- To contact the Louisiana Secretary of State Office for information or application for the Certificate of Authority for foreign Corporations:
State of Louisiana Secretary of State Corporations Division
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
Phone: (225) 925-4704
||Applys to Type
||Total fees to apply for agency license
||Agency annual renewal fees
You have been provided an application so that you may apply for a private investigator journeyman level license.
You must complete the entire application, being extremely detailed when providing information.
The journeyman application is a three page document and affidavit. Both sections must be completed in detail and must be notarized.
Do not leave any questions unanswered.
The fingerprinting should be performed by someone competent in the area of fingerprinting. If there are smudges and smears,
the cards are likely to be rejected and your application process will be stalled. Also, both cards must be properly filled out,
providing all information on the cards.
The required COLOR photograph must be clear and precise and must be a 4 X 6 or a 5 X 7.
Passport photographs are not acceptable as well as digital photographs. Reproductions and copies are also not acceptable.
YOUR PHOTO MUST LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE EXAMPLE IN THE BACK OF THIS PACKET.
The State Police documents and the fingerprint cards must be returned in the application package. You must provide a clear and concise copy
of your driver's license.
The licensing fees are $399.25 and are non-refundable.
If you are currently licensed as an INDIVIDUAL private investigator and are applying for a JOURNEYMAN level license, the fee is $300.00.
The old individual license number is not transferable. You will be issued a new license number and new expiration date.
After receiving your application, your finger prints will be sent to the State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
If you do not prepare the application in detail and as requested, it will be returned to you, thus stalling your application process.
Journeyman license definition: An individual license authorizing the individual to provide contract private investigator
services to any agency licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Private Investigator Examiners.
Journeyman license qualifications: A journeyman applicant shall meet the same qualifications as an individual license holder and
shall have successfully completed the forty hour basic private investigators course and subsequent examination.
Journeyman license standards: Journeyman license holders shall maintain ajob log concerning each investigation they perform.
The job log shall contain the following items:
- Name of managing agency
- Dates investigations were performed
- Total number of hours worked during the investigation
Journeyman license application: The Journeyman license applicant is required to submit an affidavit acknowledging and accepting the
Journeyman's license limitations. Those limitations include the following:
- A Journeyman license holder shall only provide investigative services to agencies licensed under the Louisiana State Board of Private Investigative Examiners
- The Journeyman shall not provide direct investigative services to the general public, private businesses or government agencies
Journeyman management: Each agency employing the services of a Journeyman shall supervise the activities of the journeyman in the same
manner they would an apprentice or individual license holder.
Each agency employing the services for a journeyman shall also maintain and provide upon request of the Journeyman or Board,
the total number of hours ajourneyman worked each year.
Agency licensing for Journeyman: In order to transfer from a Journeyman license holder to an agency,
the Journeyman shall prove their qualifications by providing documentation that clearly demonstrates their
experience as a private investigator. This experience must demonstrate at least three years of full time employment as a licensed private investigator.
Journeyman fees: Fees for a journeyman license shall be equivalent to the fees for an agency license.
Journeyman identification card: The identification card of a journeyman shall have the words Not an Agency printed on the face of the card.
||Applys to Type
||Total journeyman license free
||Journeyman license renewal